The Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme (PMSS), which is promoted by the National Defence Fund, was launched by the Government of India in the year 2006-07. The Welfare and Rehabilitation Board working under the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Union Government of India makes provisions for this scholarship. The PMSS was introduced to impart technical and professional education to certain sections of society. These include the wards and widows of deceased, retiring, and serving Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs), Assam Rifles (AR), and State Service (SS) Personnel. Since the academic year 2019-20, this scholarship has added other beneficiaries, including the dependent wards of States and Union Territories Police Force that were martyred during Terrorist or Naxal attacks.
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme 2023: Salient Features
The various features of the Prime Minister Scholarship program are mentioned below:
- The PMSS scholarship amount varies from INR 3000 per month for girls to INR 2500 per month for boys, summing up to INR 36000 for each girl annually and INR 30000 for each boy yearly.
- Under the PMSS, more 2000 scholarships will be added to the renewal cases of the previous year
- The 2000 new scholarships will be allotted to girl and boy applicants in equal measure (1000 each for boys and girls).
- The duration of the scholarship is 5 years, which varies as per the course being pursued by the applicant and certified by the respective regulatory body.
- A total of 500 scholarships are reserved for the wards of State Police officials; these new scholarships will be distributed evenly between girls and boys (250 to each category)
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme 2023: Eligibility Norms
Herein you can find details about the eligibility criteria of the PMSS:
- The applicant has to be a dependent ward of deceased, retired, or serving CAPF, AR, or SSP Personnel.
- He/she has to be pursuing courses in the fields of Medicine, Agriculture, Engineering, Management, and Other Professional Courses.
- The candidate should have secured at least 60% marks in Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ) in Graduation, Diploma, or 10+2. The MEQ for MBBS students is 10+2, for Graduation it is MBA or Bed, and for BE/BTech it is 10+2/Diploma.
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme 2023: Mandatory Documents
The list of documents to be submitted when applying for the PMSS includes:
- Copy of HOO-issued Serving Certificate, in case of serving officers
- Copy of the Certificate given by the respective State Government stating that the State Police Personnel was martyred during Terrorist or Naxal attacks
- Copy of Certificate of Minimum Educational Qualification (MEQ), such as Graduation Course marksheet, Class XII certificates, and Diploma program marksheets.
- Copy of Discharge Certificate / PPO (if applicable)
- Copy of Death or Disability Certificate (if applicable)
- Copy of Certificate of Gallantry Award (applies to Gallantry Award winners)
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme 2023: Registration / Application Process
The applications for the PMSS will be accepted via the National Scholarship portal. Candidates are required to submit their respective applications before 30th September each year. The list of all eligible beneficiaries will be released by 20th October every year. The Pradhanmantri Scholarship Yojana application process is detailed below:
- The first step includes visiting the official website of the National Scholarship Portal
- On the home page, navigate to the “New Registration” link and tap on it
- The system displays a new page with all the application details, which you must read thoroughly
- Go on to then check the Declaration and tap the “Continue” tab
- On the following page, provide all the requisite details and click the “Register” tab
- Following registration, the system generates your “Username” and “Password”
- Now, click the “Login” tab and sign in with your login credentials
- Access the online application form and fill in the details
- Subsequently, tap the “Save and Continue” link
- Upload the compulsory documents in the prescribed format as your next step
- Thereafter, review your application and submit it online
- Keep a copy of your PMSS application for your records